If you have braces, it is important to remember to continue practicing your oral health hygiene habits. When implementing your brushing and flossing routine while wearing braces, exercise caution and brush slowly and safety to avoid accidentally damaging them. Because flossing can be difficult with braces, it may be necessary to add an additional level of treatment such as mouthwash. In addition, follow these important tips to keep your braces clean and strong:
– Always wear safety equipment when playing contact sports or doing high-risk activities. This includes mouth guards, face masks, helmets, and any other safety gear that is necessary to protect your mouth.
– Always take the time to clean your retainer and keep it clear from bacteria and contamination.
– Avoid foods and snacks that can get easily stuck in between your braces and teeth. This includes chewy candies, hard or tough foods and snacks, and various types of nuts.
– Always attend any appointments that you have with your orthodontist.
– If any wires break or snap off your braces, cover the broken end with a piece of wax and call your orthodontist immediately. Do not try to cut off any dangling wires as they can end up being accidentally swallowed or become choking hazards.
– Even with braces, you still need to brush your teeth twice daily and floss once daily.
Taking care of your orthodontic braces ensures they can continue doing their job of effectively and safely straightening your teeth. If you need to schedule an oral exam with our orthodontists, please contact McCord Orthodontics to book an appointment with Dr. McCord, Dr. McCoy, and our team at our orthodontics offices in Idaho Falls, Rexburg, Shelley, Victor, and Pocatello, Idaho. Call us at 208.529.8333. We make smiles great!