Our orthodontists and team at McCord Orthodontics are dedicated to giving back to our community. One way we do this is by participating with the Smile for a Lifetime Foundation. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to access such care by themselves. Started in 2008, this foundation aims to reach individuals with special situations, financial challenges, and orthodontic needs. Every year, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients. The foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US, and Dr. McCord and Dr. McCoy are happy to contribute. Each chapter has its own local Board of Directors who chooses patients to be treated by the Foundation.
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation’s mission is to create self-confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our community.
How to Apply for Smile for a Lifetime Foundation
- Letters of Recommendation are mandatory. Please do not submit more than two letters, and limit each reference letter to one page each. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil). Must be written by school, church, or community leaders that know the applicant.
- Your attached 5×7-inch picture must be a clear photo of the applicant’s full smile with teeth showing.
- Applicant must fill out and submit: application and applicant questionnaire.
- Your application, letters of reference, and pictures will not be returned to you and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime Foundation.
- The applicant must be a resident of Southeastern Idaho.
- Applicant must be willing during the treatment period to “pay it forward” by completing 40 hours of community service at one of the charities on Smile for a Lifetime’s Volunteer Opportunities list.
- Must have a significant aesthetic need for braces
- Family income must not exceed 185% of the poverty threshold (please see: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/11poverty.shtml)
- Must be between 10 and 18 years old
- Must be a currently enrolled student and performing satisfactorily in school (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude
- Must agree to follow the treatment plan and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time
- Must show involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities
Applications that do not meet these criteria will not be voted on by our Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors will meet quarterly to make their selections.
Smile for a Lifetime Application
Please send the completed application, questionnaire, photo, and letters of recommendation to:
Dr. Layne McCord
Attn: Smile for a Lifetime
3411 Merlin Dr.
Idaho Falls, ID 83404
If you have questions, please call: Jody Becker at 208-529-8333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board of Directors
Our board members are diverse, yet leadership and passion for community improvements are characteristics they all share.
- Jody Becker – Board President
- Steve Anderson
- Melanie Anderson
- Natalie Hebard
- Deb Moretto
- Randy Smith, DDS
- Mark Marlowe, DDS
- Dean Parker
- Tim Lewis
- Kim Mowery
COMMUNITY SERVICE IDEAS
- Habitat For Humanity
- The Soup Kitchen
- Animal shelter
- Nursing homes
- Hospital candy striper
- Developmental Workshop
- Create your own project!